Friday, May 23, 2008

Run Forest

So, I will be a member on KP's relay team for the Bismarck Marathon in Sept.!
This will be interesting since I've never ran more than 2 miles at one time.
I did go running the other day though. I think it was close to 2 miles and I did it in about 14 mins.
I was really surprised by this time since I only do about 5 to 10 mins. of cardio 3 to 4 times per week. I also lift 3 days a week and play softball one night per week so that must have conditioned me more than I thought.
Anyway, I'm on a mission to get in the best shape of my life.
Maybe I will give some before and after pics. Before as in now and after as in after the race.
Looking forward to this... supposedly Dietrich is going to be on our team as well and maybe Wolf. Sounds like it is going to be a good time.

Oh yeah, my goal by race day is to be able to run 5 miles in 35 minutes or less.

I will be establishing a running schedule starting Monday.

I hope this insane frickn wind stops soon, that will make it much more enjoyable.

Any tips from those of you who are runners or have been in these types of events would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

spend some money on good running shoes.

Stryrker said...

1) consistency, consistency, consistency. If you only have a few minutes to go run--do it! It's much better than skipping a day. You might even want to try a Tabata workout.

2)A cheap heart rate monitor won't be a bad idea either. That way, you can learn about your heart rate zones and the difference between aerobic & anaerobic training.

3)Start your training with a base of slower, low intensity runs. This will trigger your body to become a more efficient aerobic engine (i.e. using oxygen to burn fat to fuel your muscles) As you begin to near your race day, mix in higher intensity runs, cutting back on miles a bit. This will give you more anaerobic endurance-- calling upon sugars in your system to fuel your body. This creates lactic acid, which is consumed by your muscles, but it also is painful. Increasing your tolerance to lactic acid will give you a higher top end, and will make race day a cinch. Give yourself a week of low volume, low intensity training the week before.

4)Rest when you body tells you to.

Ian said...

You're crazy!

Actually I think its a cool idea, for you. :)

I agree that Tabata is probably a good idea as well.

Good luck!

Plains folk said...

Thanks for the advice guys.
I will be following your advice Thork.
I will definitely try to find a good pair of shoes as well.

Plains folk said...

Tabata workouts look pretty cool. I will try that soon for sure.