Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A few of the best who ever lived

I was listening to a song tonight that always reminds me of my grandparents. Its a song by Van Zant called "Help somebody". This song hits so close to home it practically brings tears to my eyes everytime I hear it. I wish I had some digital pics to post of my grandparents on here. Maybe I will be able to get some from my folks one of these days.

My grandma was one of the most giving people I know, had the biggest heart and she was only 4 foot 10 inches tall. My memories of her are always of giving. Giving to me, my cousins and all kinds of people who needed someone to listen. My grandma worked for Community Action and her job was never 8 to 5. I remember meeting so many people who would stop in at her house to talk with her, needing her for who she was. But, I also remember her turning into a little fireball when she would get mad at my grandpa or one of us kids for something. She walked her talk always.

My grandpa was one also one of the kindest people I have ever met. I can still hear his laugh and I can still feel his hug. My grandpa had an answer for everything, whether it was always right or not I don't know. But he was one hell of a man and one of the things I remember my grandma telling me that he said to her once was "I will always stand by your side no matter what, as long as you always tell me the truth". And he did. I cannot even remember a single time when he was mad at her.

Both of my grandparents died a little more than a year apart from each other at about 68 years old, both from Pancreatic cancer in April,2002 and October,2003. The saddest thing I have ever experienced was a night in March about a month before my grandma died, standing in her kitchen and giving her a hug as I was crying, because we all knew she was going to die soon and she just kept telling me it's going to be alright.

One of the best memories I have of my grandpa, even though it was on his death bed was when he said to me "you and I are so alike, Blake, we are so alike".

I guess this post is obviously more for me than anyone, but I guess most blogs are in my opinion. They make good journals.

No comments: